India’s COVID-19 infection tally climbed to 1,08,71,294 with 12,923 new cases in a day, while 1,05,73,372 people have recuperated so far pushing the national recovery rate to 97.26 per cent on Thursday, according to Union Health Ministry data.
There are 1,42,562 active cases of coronavirus infection in the country which accounts for 1.31 per cent of the total caseload, the data stated.
The death count climbed to 1,55,360 with the novel coronavirus virus claiming 108 lives in a span of 24 hours in the country, the data showed.
The COVID-19 case fatality rate stood at 1.43 per cent.
Meanwhile, the government on Wednesday expressed “strong displeasure” about Twitter’s response to the emergency order to block more than a thousand accounts for alleged spread of provocative content and misinformation on the farmer protests.
Here are the Latest News Live Updates:
Here are the highlights of his statement:
- Pakistan has illegally given India’s land to China, and we do not recognise such an arrangement. China also claims a large area of India’s land, and we have never agreed to such unwarranted claims.
- In Ladakh too, China moved unilaterally, and India has given, and will continue to ensure that our sovereignty is maintained. After China moved large number of troops to the LAC, against our agreements, India too has made large-scale arrangements and moved in increased troops to safeguard our interests.
- My colleagues EAM S Jaishankar, and NSA Ajit Doval, as well as me, the Defence Minister, all have had talks with our respective counterparts. We are working on the situation with an aim to mutually disengage and maintain the status quo that existed before the current standoff.
- The entire nation is proud of and salutes the brave soldiers who defended our sovereignty in eastern Ladakh. Our soldiers have shown exemplary courage at Pangong Lake area as well as the supreme sacrifice made by them at Galwan. The nation will always hold them in the highest regard.
- I would like to inform the House that not an inch of our land has been lost in the current situation, and neither will we allow it to happen.
- Talks are on at the moment for a disengagement at the Pangong Lake. Both sides are in the process of returning to the status quo ante, as was the case before the standoff. China will return to finger 6 and India will set up a post at finer 3 of the Pangong Lake and patrolling will happen between the two posts.
- That being said, there are differences between the perception of the LAC by both India and China, and a consensus has not been reached on it. Talks are on at the highest levels and a setup is in place to discuss the border disagreements.
Rescue operation underway inside Tapovan tunnel in Chamoli.
“There is a possibility that some more people could be stuck inside the tunnel, NTPC team using vertical drilling to find their whereabouts,” says Aparna Kumar, ITBP DIG.
ITBP troops help in constructing Jhula bridge across disconnected villages in Chamoli. This will be used to transport ration from one side of the bridge to another side.
Army Chief General MM Naravane arrives at the Parliament.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to make a statement on ‘present situation in Eastern Ladakh’ in Rajya Sabha at 10:30 am today.
Two more persons tested positive for COVID-19 in Mizoram, taking the state’s tally to 4,390, an official said on Thursday.
The two fresh cases were reported from the Lawngtlai district, he said.
One of the patients has symptoms of COVID-19, while the other is asymptomatic, the official said.
Mizoram at present has 22 active cases, while 4,359 people have recovered from the virus so far.
The COVID-19 death toll in the state is nine.
With the addition of 364 new cases of coronavirus, the infection count in Maharashtra’s Thane district has reached 2,56,549,an official said on Thursday.
Apart from these new cases reported on Wednesday, five more people also succumbed to the viral infection, taking the death toll in the district to 6,194, he said.
Currently, the COVID-19 fatality rate in the district is 2.41 per cent, he said.
So far, 2,47,232patients have recuperated from the infection, taking the recovery rate to 96.37 per cent.
There are 3,123 active COVID-19 cases in the district at present, the official said.
Drilling operation started by rescue teams at 2:00 AM today to peep into tunnel 12 to 13 meters below: ITBP.
Update| BJP MP Sampatiya Uikey has given zero hour notice in Rajya Sabha demanding, “inclusion of ‘Gondi’ language in Eighth Schedule.”
Update| BJP MP Bhagwat Karad has given Zero hour Notice in Rajya Sabha expressing, “concern over investigation ordered by Maharashtra Govt against Sachin Tendulkar and Lata Mangeshkar.”
JustIn| Joe Biden voices concern to China’s Xi Jinping about crackdown in Hong Kong, rights in Xinjiang: White House
Around 13,117 railway health staff have been vaccinated against COVID-19 so far, Railway Minister Piyush Goyal informed Parliament on Wednesday.
In a reply to a query in the Lok Sabha, the minister said the vaccination of Railway employees is being done in a phased manner.
“In the first phase, Railway health care staff are being vaccinated. Till now, 13,117 Railway health care staff have been vaccinated. 3,70,316 front line Railway employees have been identified for vaccination in the next phase,” he said.
The number of healthcare and frontline workers vaccinated against COVID-19 reached 68.26 lakh on Wednesday, the 26th day of the countrywide inoculation programme, the Union Health Ministry said.
The cumulative number of beneficiaries vaccinated against the coronavirus till Wednesday 6 pm through 1,42,455 sessions is 68,26,898, as per a provisional report, the ministry said.
These include 56,65,172 healthcare workers (57.4 per cent) and 11,61,726 frontline workers (13.2 per cent), it said.